Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes
Special Equipment: baking dish, large soup pot
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 parsnips, peeled and diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cups peeled butternut squash, cut into bite size cubes
- 1 white potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 whole bulb of garlic, top chopped to exposed tops of garlic cloves
- 1 lb sausages cut into ½ inch pieces
- 8 cups homemade chicken broth or enough to cover vegetables
- 1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 2 cups lightly packed, coarsely chopped kale with stems removed
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- In a baking dish add diced carrots, parsnips, onion, squash, potato and garlic.
- Toss with olive oil and bake for 40 minutes, stirring vegetables around halfway through.
- Meanwhile, brown sausages over medium heat for 5 minutes. This step is for extra flavor. You can also skip this step and put the sausages right into the simmering stock and they will cook through.
- Once veggies are cooked, set garlic aside to cool. You may want to throw it in the freezer for a few minutes.
- Transfer the veggies and sausages to the soup pot and add stock, tomatoes, spices and kale. Bring to a boil.
- Add garlic to the soup pot. The individual cloves should squeeze easily from their skins.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
*To save time skip the roasting step. Add oil to your soup pan, and then add onions and garlic. After 5 minutes add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Simmer for 20-30 minutes or until veggies are soft.
For more simple By Design recipes why not pick up your copy of the Eat By Design Cookbook. I’ve created it in the form of a 28-day meal plan (plus grocery lists!) so you don’t need to think about what’s for breakfast, lunch or dinner for the next month. Or you can grab the first 7 days FREE by clicking here.