Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Special Equipment: Small piece of cheesecloth
- 4 cups homemade chicken broth
- 1 stalk lemongrass, white part only, cracked open with the flat side of a knife
- 3 kaffir lime leaves, fresh or dried, hand torn
- 1 (3-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 small Thai chilies, halved lengthwise
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 (13-ounce) can unsweetened, full fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 8 ounces or about 8 cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- Bring the stock just to a boil and reduce the heat.
- Meanwhile tie the lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, ginger, chilies and garlic in cheesecloth. Add the spice bundle to the soup.
- Lower the heat to medium-low, cover, and gently simmer for 10 minutes.
- Uncover and stir in the coconut milk, fish sauce, mushrooms, lime juice, and chicken.
- Simmer for 5 minutes to heat the chicken through; season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the spice bundle.
- Ladle into individual serving bowls and garnish with cilantro.
Yields 6 servings
For true taste, it is difficult to substitute anything for the kaffir lime leaves or lemongrass. The richness of the sour taste comes from the complement of the different citrus flavored ingredients. You can find the leaves at local Asian grocery stores. Lemongrass is widely available at regular grocery stores.
For more simple By Design recipes just like this one why not pick up your copy of the Eat By Design Cookbook. We created it in the form of a 28-day meal plan (plus grocery lists!) so you don't need to think about what's for breakfast, lunch or dinner for the next month. You can grab the first 7 days FREE by clicking here.